Liopetri is home to two churches
of interest; the medieval church of Panagia and the
church of Agios Andronikos, which is understood to
have been built around the 15th century. It has an
octagonal dome and in the apse there can still be
seen some remnants of its murals. Close by are the
remains of a Venetian watch tower. The French poet
Arthur Rimbeaud is known to have worked in this area
in the 1880's.
The fishing shelter at Potamos Liopetriou, just east
of the village of Xylophagou, is a photogenic inlet
where fishermen men spend by day repairing their nets,
before setting sail in the evening to go fishing.
Liopetri is also well known for its basket making
Xylophagou (Xylofagou) was built
during the Ottoman rule and took its name from its
very first settler called Xerophagos (dry food eater).
Whilst the area was basically uninhabited, several
monasteries were built of which unfortunately only
their names remain notably Efstathios and Saint Barbara
being the most important.
Sotira has a population of just over 1500 people
and takes its name from the church in the centre of
the village, (Sotira meaning saviour in Greek) The
church has wonderful displays of Komninian art (13th – 16th)
centuries and is dedicated to the transfiguration
of Jesus Christ the Saviour.
It is a quiet area, with all the local
amenities one would expect of a village, while it
is only five minutes to Ayia
Thekla and Ayia Napa
and a mere eight minutes to Protaras by car.
Sotira lake also has wonderful winter wildlife.
Agios Mamas, which was initially built in the 12th century and later
rebuilt in the 16th with frescoes is near the east entrance of Sotira.
Another two churches in the area, such as the cruciform
church of Panagia Khordajiotissa, which also dates back to the 15th
century which has had its dome restored, and the church of St. George
(Ayios Georghios) with its three aisle Syrian – type ( early
christian ) basilicas are worth visiting. There is also of mention
a small Ecclesiastical Museum in Sotira.